Seattle Department of Neighborhoods is seeking individuals to do part-time outreach work to underrepresented communities in Seattle’s neighborhoods. Known as Public Outreach and Engagement Liaisons (POELs), these contractors must be connected to their respective cultures, fluent in the languages, and bi-cultural and bi-lingual. The main tasks of a POEL are to provide:
- Quality translations.
- Fair and equitable facilitation (in native language) to culturally specific community groups.
- Simultaneous interpretation.
- Feedback and expertise on cultural concerns and barriers.
- Planning and execution of community workshops and events that parallel larger City-hosted meetings.
POELs are compensated independent contractors. The positions are generally flexible with any type of schedule and include either daytime or evening hours as well as some weekends. The applicants must have extensive experience organizing and facilitating community meetings, and must be fluent and able to interpret and translate in at least one other language. The languages we are presently seeking include Vietnamese, Chinese (both Mandarin and Cantonese), Spanish, Korean, and Somali. The applicants must live or work in the following neighborhoods:
- North End: Especially Lake City and Northgate
- University District
- West Seattle
If interested, please send a resume or a short biography, plus two references to DON_Liaison@seattle.gov or:
Seattle Department of Neighborhoods
P.O. Box 94649
Seattle, WA 98124.
For more information about the POEL program, please visit our website.