Visit our homepage and to get tools and information about the winter storm: http://www.seattle.gov/neighborhoods
In the 1920’s the Laurelhurst Community Club was responsible for getting transportation projects and schools to the area. In addition, the LCC was instrumental in the acquisition of a public park for the neighborhood (Laurelhurst Playfield) and eventually the LCC submitted a petition to the parks Board to build a shelter house for the playfield that could be used by the growing community groups. The construction work started during the Depression, as did the construction of the Mont lake Community Center. Money was short, so in December of 1933 the Parks Board decided to use labor from the Civil Works Administration and eventually the work was completed by the Washington Emergency Relief Administration, another relief agency.
The Laurelhurst Field house was used during WWII for entertaining troops, as the park area was used for an anti-aircraft gun installation (since it was the highest point of cleared land in the area).
The City’s Department of Parks and Recreation submitted the landmark nomination in 2004 in anticipation of a major renovation through the Pro Parks Levy. Completed in 2007, the renovation of the landmark building and a 4150 square foot addition were approved by the Landmarks Preservation Board. The architecture firm for the renovation was VIA Suzuki.