Seattle City Council approves legislation for landmark designation of Harborview Medical Center, Center Wing of the East Hospital

The City Council recently approved the legislation for the landmark designation of Harborview Medical Center, Center Wing of the East Hospital.  The Center Wing of the East Hospital was built as King County Hospital in 1929-31.  It was designed by Harlan Thomas of Thomas, Grainger, and Thomas.  The hospital, sited high above downtown Seattle, is an example of the Art Deco style, with its stepped-back massing and stylized terra cotta and cast stone ornament.  Harborview Medical Center has played an important role in King County’s health care system since its opening in 1931.  It has been the county’s major provider of health care for the poor and the primary provider of emergency services, trauma and burn care, communicable disease treatment and inpatient psychiatric services.  It has also played a significant role in regional medical education, first as a primary training facility for the University of Washington School of Nursing (beginning in 1931) and later for School of Medicine and other health sciences departments.