Seattle City Council Approves Ordinances of Three Seattle Landmarks

Seattle City Council recently approved the landmark designation ordinances for three Seattle landmarks: Pacific Telephone & Telegraph Garfield Exchange in Queen Anne, Volunteer Park in Capitol Hill, and University Heights School in the University District. These icons join the more than 400 landmarks in the city that contribute to the cultural and architectural heritage of Seattle’s neighborhoods.

The City’s Landmarks Preservation Board approved the nomination, designation, and controls and incentives for all three landmarks, and staff provided the draft ordinances to the Seattle City Council. The final step in the process was approval by City Council which occurred on November 28.

The landmarks:

Pacific Telephone & Telegraph Garfield ExchangePacific Telephone & Telegraph Garfield Exchange (address: 1529 4th Avenue W)
Architect: PT&T Chief Engineer (name unknown)
Date Built: 1922 (addition in 1929)

 

 

Volunteer Park

Volunteer Park (1400 E. Prospect Street)
Landscape Architect: Olmsted Brothers
Date Built: 1909-10 (preceded by Reservoir, Gate House and Water Tower)

 

 

University HeightsUniversity Heights School, (5031 University Way NE)
Architect: Bebb & Mendel (1902) and James Stephen (addition)
Date Built: 1902, w/1908 addition

 

 

 

Seattle Department of Neighborhoods Historic Preservation Program is responsible for the designation and protection of more than 400 historic structures, sites, objects, and vessels, as well as eight historic districts located throughout the city. For more information on the landmark designation process and to view other city landmarks, visit seattle.gov/neighborhoods/preservation/.